Monday 23 April 2012

Frank Ocean

"Hi" types Mollie from a laptop surrounded by French booklets, with a maths revision tab open amongst other social networking sites. As a means of procrastinating (well, I wasn't really doing much as I kind of got swept away by Frank's beautiful voice) I'm just  going to write about Frank Ocean.
I'm currently learning Frank's song 'White' from the OF Volume 2 tape on piano so I thought it would be appropriate to profess my undying love for this guy. He effortlessly oozes such a passion for the story being told through his songs, of which he lyricises so well; at only 24 years old he's written Beyonce's 'I Miss You' track amongst working with many other artists. Releasing his first mixtape, Nostalgia, Ultra in February 2011, Frank delighted many with his more laid back approach, particularly in contrast to his other Odd Future member's more 'hyphy' styles.

I adore Strawberry Swing. Frank poetically uses such open and honest lyrics such as 'spaceships are lifting off of a dying world' sung over a simplistic accompaniment that allows his melodic voice to envelope the reader into his music.

Thinking About You is a perfect example of Frank's range in vocals; with a gorgeous falsetto separating the verses. The wallowing synthetic sound in the background of lyrics about a love interest (cough, me) force listeners to hear the melody in his voice, the main focus in many of Frank's tracks. Well, when it's that good, why wouldn't it be?

Now enter the beautiful mind of Frank. Doesn't he look so handsome in his glasses?


"When I'm trying to make a song...even the parts that don't have words...it's still really trying to make a photograph out of something that you can never see"

"I think we all change each others paths, you know. I don't know which law or idea that is in physics but I don't think any of us can live without affecting each other"

" Sonic goodies yo...sonic goodies. That's a weird word, goodies."

4 comments:

  1. i haven't heard of him until now, but i'm listening to srawberry swing, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first song I heard was Novocane and that got me interested.. And then I listened to Thinking About You and there was no turning back.. I am in love with this man.. His voice, his lyrics.. sigh.. Definitely a breath of fresh air..

    Kisses! xxx

    ilikeyourears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award! We've put your link on our blog :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like him he's very refreshing and calm. His music relaxes me I hope he becomes very successful.

    ReplyDelete

thankyou for taking the time to comment!
oh gosh, i get way too excited.